Outreach Nursing in Niagara
Connect on Facebook
Follow @HealthBusOutreach on Facebook to get local health information
Follow us on Facebook
For vulnerable populations in Niagara who can't access traditional health care, outreach nurses provide a suitable, free alternative. No health card needed.
Residents who have challenges with traditional health care include:
- Socially isolated individuals
- Those with mental health issues
- Those with addictions
- Homeless residents
- Individuals with limited access to transportation
- Teens with sexual health concerns
How We Help
- We reduce barriers. Individuals with mental health or addiction issues are often hesitant to visit traditional service providers because of past discrimination or a lack of trust. Our services are free, confidential and non-judgmental.
- We meet you where you are. Outreach nurses move throughout Niagara and can visit clients in a public location where they are most comfortable. If additional care or follow-up is needed, outreach nurses can refer to other health agencies.
- We provide built-in support services. Vulnerable clients can have supporters present during visits and follow-up care only if the client approves.
Outreach nurses offer the following services:
- Sexually transmitted infection education, testing and treatment
- Hepatitis C testing
- Rapid HIV testing
- Pregnancy testing
- Basic wound care
- Health education and counselling
- Referral to health services
- Morning after pill
- Nicotine patches and gum
- Naloxone kits
- Free condoms