Free Dental Programs and Services
Healthy Smiles Ontario is a government-funded dental program that provides free preventive, routine and emergency dental services for eligible children and youth 17 years of age and younger.
Children and youth 17 and under may be eligible if they are a:
- Resident of Ontario
- Member of a household that meets the income eligibility requirements
Note: If your child is in pain he/she may qualify regardless of income. Call the Dental Health Line at 905-688-8248 or 1-888-505-6074 ext. 7399
Services covered include:
- Regular visits to a dental professional of your choice
- Dental services include check-ups, cleaning, sealants, fluoride treatments, x-rays, fillings and extractions
- Urgent or emergency oral health issues
How to Apply
- For more information and to apply online, visit ontario.ca/healthysmiles
- Visit a ServiceOntario location or call ServiceOntario toll-free at 1-844-296-6306 (TTY toll-free at 1-800-387-5559)
- Call Niagara Region Public Health Dental Health Line at 905-688-8248 or 1-888-505-6074 ext. 7399
Children 17 and under currently receiving benefits from Ontario Works, Temporary Care Assistance, Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities or the Ontario Disabilities Support Program are eligible for free dental services. They are automatically enrolled into the Healthy Smiles Ontario program and receive a Healthy Smiles Ontario card in the mail.
Children with dental insurance
Even if your child already has dental insurance coverage, they may still be eligible for the program. You can apply in the same way that other families apply. You may be asked for your insurance information when you go to your dental provider for treatment.
Preventive Dental Clinics
Niagara Region Public Health provides free dental visits with a registered dental hygienist for children and youth 17 years of age and younger. Free services include:
- Dental screening
- Fluoride varnish
- Dental sealants
- Oral health education
- Information about free dental care
Book an appointment online or call the Dental Health Line at 905-688-8248 or 1-888-505-6074 ext. 7399.