In addition to financial help for basic needs, social assistance programs help residents prepare for, find and keep a job. The province has two social assistance programs: Ontario Works, and the Ontario Disability Support Program.
Ontario Works is administered by Social Assistance and Employment Opportunities at the Regional Municipality of Niagara and is available to eligible residents.
To be eligible for Ontario Works, you must:
- be a resident of Ontario
- be in immediate financial need
- be willing to participate in employment assistance activities that will help you find a job
How do I Apply for Social Assistance?
You may apply for social assistance through the Ontario Works program by calling our Intake Line at 905-641-9230 or 1-866-627-1110 if calling from West Niagara.
Helping you Prepare for and Find a Job
Through the Ontario Works program, we can work with you to help you become job-ready by:
- determining what you need to become employed
- developing a plan based on your skills, experience and circumstances
We offer a range of employment-focused services:
- to help to upgrade your skills
- to improve your literacy level and basic education
- training for jobs needed in our local job market
- resume writing and job search workshops
Ontario Disability Support Program
The Ontario Disability Support Program provides employment help for individuals with disabilities and is delivered by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services, not by Niagara Region.