Textile Donation / Recycling Programs
Niagara Region offers programs for residents to donate or recycle acceptable textile materials free of charge.
Residents making donations are asked to bring items in garbage bags or cardboard boxes.
- Gently used clothing: active wear, bathing suits, bathrobes, coats, dresses, jeans, pants, parkas, shirts, skirts, sweaters, t-shirts, undergarments, uniforms
- Accessories: backpacks, belts, gloves, hats, jewelry, mittens, purses, scarves, ties, toques
- Footwear: boots, cleats, shoes, high heels, running shoes, slip-ons, slippers, loafers, sneakers, sandals
- Household: bedding, bibs, blankets, comforters, cushions, curtains, oven mitts, pillows, rags, sewing fabric and scraps, sheets, sleeping bags, stuffed toys, towels, wash cloths
- All cloth based items
All items must be dry and free from mildew or hazardous contamination such as grease or oil. Materials that don't meet the criteria listed above for donation at the drop-off locations will be considered household garbage and subject to disposal fees.
Ripped, torn, unmatched materials
Materials not suitable for retail sale, such as ripped, torn and unmatched materials, can be dropped off for recycling at:
- Canadian Diabetes collection bins at Niagara Region landfills and Niagara Recycling Centre
- Niagara Road 12 Reusable Goods Depot
Place these items in a separate bag / box, marked 'recyclable'. Humberstone Reusable Goods Depot doesn't accept ripped, torn or unmatched materials.
- Carpets and rugs
Niagara Region textile drop-off locations
- Recycling Centre - Niagara Falls
- Bridge Street Waste and Recycling Drop-Off Depot - Fort Erie
- Humberstone Landfill - Welland
- Niagara Road 12 Landfill - West Lincoln (Grimsby, Lincoln, West Lincoln and Pelham residents only)
Textile donation / recycling program for apartment buildings
On-site donation or recycling of textiles is available to eligible multi-residential buildings with seven or more units (apartment and condo buildings) that have a superintendent on the premises.
Interested property managers or superintendents can call the Waste Info-Line at 905-356-4141 or toll-free at 1-800-594-5542 for more information and to determine eligibility.