Niagara Transit Commission
New Transit System
On Jan. 1, 2023, Niagara Transit Commission launched a new consolidated transit system called Niagara Region Transit
Moving Transit Forward
Niagara Region Transit is the result of an effort from Niagara Region and the 12 local municipalities to connect all of Niagara by combining the existing Niagara Region Transit, Niagara Falls Transit, St. Catharines Transit, Welland Transit and Fort Erie Transit systems into one transit operator starting Jan. 1, 2023.
The creation of one transit system was identified in Niagara Region's Strategic Plan. From there, the Linking Niagara Transit Committee, with representation from Niagara Region and the 12 local municipalities, investigated the best approach by consulting with the public and interested parties, and researching industry best practices and future trends.
After comprehensive research and under the direction of the CAO Transit Working Group, consultation with municipal transit leaders and municipal councils occurred during three rounds of staff presentations. This culminated with staff presentations to all 12 local area municipal councils to secure the required triple-majority on Feb. 23, 2022, legally authorizing Niagara Region to have exclusive responsibility for transit throughout the region.
A triple majority is a majority of Regional Council voting in favour, and a majority of local councils representing a majority of eligible electors in Niagara voting in favour.
After achieving the triple-majority, Regional Council held a Special Council meeting on May 26, 2022, to approve the creation of a new Niagara Transit Commission. The Niagara Transit Commission is responsible for all of Niagara's specialized, conventional and on-demand transit services, and is governed by a board of fifteen elected representatives from across Niagara.
- Creation of a Consolidated Transit Commission (PW 55-2021)
- Initial Transition Activities and Next Steps (PW 15-2022)
- Establishing the Niagara Transit Commission as a municipal service board and update on the transfer of municipal transit assets to the Commission (CSD 19-2022)
- Review of Corporate and Administrative Support Services (NTC 03-2022)
- Niagara Transit Service Delivery and Governance Strategy Executive Summary
- Niagara Transit Service Delivery and Governance Strategy Final Report