2022 Niagara Official Plan
Niagara Regional Council adopted the Niagara Official Plan in June 2022, and the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing approved the plan with modifications in November 2022.
The 2022 Niagara Official Plan replaces the former Regional Official Plan and applies to new development, unless transition provisions provide otherwise.
The 2022 Niagara Official Plan is not subject to appeal.
Tips for using the plan
- Click an italicized term in blue to see the definition in the glossary
- To return to the previous page, right click and select 'Previous View'
Download the Niagara Official Plan
Download the consolidated 2022 Niagara Official Plan, including all chapters, map schedules and appendices.
Review the Niagara Official Plan by section
- Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 - Making Our Mark
- Chapter 2 - Growing Region
- Chapter 3 - Sustainable Region
- Chapter 4 - Competitive Region
- Chapter 5 - Connected Region
- Chapter 6 - Vibrant Region
- Chapter 7 - Implementation
- Chapter 8 - Site Specific Policies
- Chapter 9 - Glossary of Terms
- Schedule A - Local Area Municipalities
- Schedule B - Regional Structure
- Schedule C1 - Natural Environment System Overlay and Provincial Natural Heritage Systems
- Schedule C2 - Natural Environment System - Individual Components and Features
- Schedule C3 - Key Hydrologic Areas Overlay
- Schedule D - Tertiary and Quaternary Watersheds
- Schedule E - Source Water Protection
- Schedule F - Agricultural Land Base
- Schedule G - Employment Areas
- Schedule H - Known Deposits of Mineral Aggregate Resources and Mineral Aggregate Operations
- Schedule I - Petroleum Pools
- Schedule J1 - Transportation Infrastructure
- Schedule J2 - Strategic Cycling Network
- Schedule K - Areas of Archaeological Potential
- Schedule L - Natural Environment System - Components, Definitions and Criteria
- Schedule M - Road Allowance Widths
- Appendix 1 - Agricultural Hydrology Infrastructure and Major Source Areas
- Appendix 2 - Urban Expansion Areas and Future Employment Areas
- Appendix 3 - Employment Land Conversion Criteria Guideline
We aim to provide accessible content for all users. However, it may not be possible for some of the maps in this plan.
If you need an alternative format, or help understanding our maps, drawings or other content, email Accessibility.
What's included in the online plan
The online Niagara Official Plan includes Ministerial modifications, amendments in effect as of April 2023 and minor clerical edits. The online version is for information purposes only.
For legal purposes, refer to the original certified documents on file with the Regional Clerk and subsequent Regional Official Plan Amendments.
2022 Niagara Official Plan amendments
Learn about amendments to the Niagara Official Plan.