Volunteer with Public Health
Volunteers play a vital role
in the delivery of our programs
in the community
All volunteer applications are reviewed with consideration of current volunteer opportunities. Depending on the position applied for, candidates may be required to complete a police check and / or take part in an interview.
Niagara Region Public Health would like to thank you for your interest in volunteering with us.
Immunization clinic support
Volunteer roles will support Niagara Region Public Health and Emergency Services staff with immunization clinics. Clinics are expected across multiple sites in Niagara. Volunteers will be responsible for the following roles (subject to change to enhance clinic performance):
Clinic set up
- Assist Public Health staff with daily clinic set up as directed by the clinic manager
- Ensure clients are aware of hand sanitizing stations and know the proper flow throughout the clinic
- Help with crowd control and clinic flow. Ensure physical distancing is maintained between clients while waiting in line to enter the clinic, in pre-registration area, and throughout the clinic.
- Ensure clients are correctly wearing a face mask
- Direct clients to the next step in the immunization process
- Monitor clients that have received the vaccine in the waiting area to ensure they wait the recommended time period
- Report any post-vaccine reaction / behaviour to the recovery nurse as outlined in training
- Ensure physical distancing is maintained between clients while waiting in the recovery area
This component of the role will only be as back-up and coverage for Niagara Region staff.
- Ensure compliance with screening processes and policies, including asking screening questions, such as health-related questions and travel questions. Assess eligibility for entrance into immunization clinic.
- Verify eligibility for entrance at designated entrances
- Ensure all persons entering the facility follow proper precautionary measures and wear the correct personal protective equipment as required
- Ensure all persons entering the building perform hand hygiene before proceeding through the building (if applicable)
- Refer all persons who fail the screening protocol or have questions to the appropriate staff member, such as charge nurse or clinic manager
Knowledge, skill and physical requirements
- Must be respectful and professional
- Friendly, courteous and comfortable working with the public
- Able to read and speak proficiently in English; speaking a second language is an asset
- Willing to listen, clarify and follow through on instructions
- Punctual and committed to assigned shifts
- Able to travel to clinic locations across Niagara. Must provide your own transportation.
- Able to stand and walk for five consecutive hours
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Complete volunteer application
- Provide two non-family references on the application form (name and email address)
- Complete required training provided by Niagara Region
- Adhere to appropriate policies and procedures
- Sign a volunteer service agreement form, oath of confidentiality form, media consent form, and volunteer COVID-19 acknowledgement
- Be committed to volunteer for one shift per week for approximately a six to nine month period; clinics will be scheduled seven days per week
- Wear personal protective equipment, such as mask and gloves as required, and a volunteer shirt and lanyard
- Complete and pass a self-assessed COVID-19 screening tool before arrival at assigned clinic location
- General orientation to Niagara Region Public Health
- Online volunteer training modules (approximately eight modules to complete)
- Attend virtual or onsite meetings and role specific training. Dates to be determined.
- This role involves liaising with members of the public andÂ potential exposure to COVID-19 exists; volunteers must sign the COVID-19 Acknowledgement
- High volume of clients entering and exiting the clinic
- May be required to rotate duties to support the flow of the clinic
A volunteer position description will be provided during the selection process.
For more information, email Lauralee Remollino.
Apply for an immunization clinic support volunteer position