Dental Screening for Children
Dental screening is available to all children in Niagara from birth up to 17 years of age, and is done in accordance with the Ontario Public Health Standards.
Our community dental health programs are designed to support and encourage your efforts to provide the best dental health for your children.
Dental screenings are provided annually to all elementary school students in Niagara.
- Screenings are done by registered dental hygienists from public health
- Sterilized mouth mirrors are used for each student
- You will be notified by telephone or mail should your child need urgent dental care or preventive dental service
Dental screenings are visual assessments only and do not replace your child's regular dental examination with a dentist.
Video: Dental Screenings in School
Video: How to Complete a Parent Notification Form
If the dental team identifies any urgent concerns during your child's screening, you'll receive a "Healthy Smiles Ontario - Parent Notification Form". Watch this video to learn how to complete the form.
Participation is optional
Every year, all parents with children in elementary schools receive a letter indicating if their child's grade is scheduled to participate this year.
- Opt-out: If your child's grade is participating, but you don't want your child to participate contact our dental program at 905-688-8248 or 1-888-505-6074 ext. 7962 or fill out the School Dental Screening Non-Participation Form. You must let us know every year.
- Opt-in: If your child's grade is not participating, but you'd like your child to participate, contact our dental program at 905-688-8248 or 1-888-505-6074 ext. 7962.
If your child has a dental problem (cavities, pain or infection), call the dental program to make an appointment. You do not have to wait for the school screening visit.
Request an oral health presentation
Our dental staff are in a position to provide education, guidance, and motivation to help your students establish positive oral health habits.
Our presentations will teach oral health, as it links oral health education and resources to learning blocks and strands found in the Ontario Curriculum, grades 1-8.
Book an oral health presentation
Dental health clinics in your neighbourhood
Parents of children who are not screened at school may request a dental screening at one of our dental health clinics.
Dental financial assistance is available through the Healthy Smiles Ontario program.