School Health Programs and Funding
We offer programs to elementary and secondary schools on healthy eating, physical activity and mental health.
Active School Travel
Active School Travel is a national program that promotes any non-motorized transportation to school, as an accessible and affordable opportunity to incorporate physical activity into daily lives.
Playground Activity Leaders in Schools (P.A.L.S.)
Playground Activity Leaders in Schools is a playground leadership program that trains students in grades four to seven to lead playground games during scheduled breaks.
Positive Parenting Program
The Positive Parenting Program is for parents with children aged zero to 12 years and parents of teens aged 12 to 16 years. The program is run by a public health nurse and can help you learn a number of strategies to deal with challenging behaviours in a positive and consistent way.
Puberty Information Sessions
The Puberty Information Session is is run by a public health nurse to provide parents and caregivers of children in grades five and six an opportunity to learn about puberty in a safe, supportive and non-judgmental environment.
Resources from other organizations
BrightBites is an innovative program that celebrates small steps that can make a big impact on school nutrition with easy-to-use tools, resources and success stories.
Have THAT Talk
Have THAT Talk is a program developed by Ottawa Public Health to promote mental health where we live, work and play. This program highlights how you can take action to reduce stigma, increase support and encourage people to get help sooner.
For more information on these programs:
- Call 905-688-8248 or 1-888-505-6074 ext. 7379
- Email Healthy Schools
Funding and grants to support physical activity opportunities
Being active can sometimes come at a cost. These grants can help people with limited finances become more active.
- Fee Assistance in Recreation program helps St. Catharines residents participate in recreation and leisure activities
- Jumpstart offers individual child grants to families that need financial help to put their kids into a sport or physical activity
- KidSport Niagara supports children and youth to participate in organized sport and physical activity
- ProKids supports children and youth in sport, recreational or cultural activity