Job Posting #23243
Court Services Prosecutor
About Niagara Region
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada's most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada's most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario's most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Reporting to the Senior Prosecutor, the Court Services Prosecutor is responsible for providing services and consultation pertaining to the prosecution and appeal of Provincial Offences Act cases before the Ontario Court of Justice for offences under Provincial Statutes, Federal Statutes and Municipal By-laws.
Paralegal degree and licensed with the Law Society of Ontario, or equivalent designatio
3-5 years of courtroom experience or equivalent work experience in a legal department/firm or law enforcement is preferred. Previous experience providing support and training to per diem prosecutors and staff dealing with prosecution matters is preferred. Licensed member in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada. Comprehensive knowledge of Provincial Offences Act, Highway Traffic Act, Canadian Constitution, Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and appropriate statutes, regulations, by-laws and case law. Experience in a computerized environment with knowledge of Microsoft Office and database management software. Ability to communicate and provide legal services in both English and French is preferred.
Conducts prosecutions in accordance with the Ministry of Attorney General standards, Inter-municipal Agreement, by-laws and other related legislation, policies, practices and procedures under Provincial Statutes, selected Federal Statutes and Municipal By-laws in Provincial Courts, reviewing briefs, court attendances, overseeing the provision of disclosure, plea negotiations and conducting trials.
Evaluates charges to determine if there is a reasonable prospect of conviction. Reviews admissibility of evidence. Determines the appropriate course of action, researching and analyzing issues. Researches and prepares specific case law responses. Conducts motions, trials and other court proceedings. Reviews and prepares disclosure as required. Reviews statements of witness, interviewing and preparing witnesses. Prepares and directs the preparation and serving of associated court documents. Orders transcripts as required. Request interpreters as required Negotiates settlements as required. Participates in early resolution meetings, pre-trials and first-attendance meetings, discussing charged with defendants or legal representatives, making determinations to proceed with charge, withdrawing or reducing the charge, and attending before the Justice of the Peace for final decision. Conducts appeals before the Ontario Court (Provincial Division) as either the appellant or respondent which includes drafting grounds for appeals, review of court transcripts, prepare legal arguments and making submissions. Reviews and analyses existing programs and procedures to ensure compliance with current case law and legislation and Provincial and Regional guidelines.
2. Conducts appeals before the Ontario Court (Provincial Division) as either the appellant or respondent which includes drafting grounds for appeals, review of court transcripts, prepare legal arguments and making submissions.
- Reviews and analyses existing programs and procedures to ensure compliance with current case law and legislation and Provincial and Regional guidelines.
3. Provides expertise in the interpretation of legislation, policies and procedures.
- At the direction of the Senior Prosecutor, provides advice, guidance and training to per diem prosecutors, law enforcement officials, members of the legal profession, ministry officials, general public, Regional staff municipal staff and others as required with respect to requirements and procedures under the Provincial Offences Act, including pre-charge consultation, interpretation of regulations, methods of dealing with complex legal issues and related issues.
- Notifies Senior Prosecutor and, if appropriate, local Crown Attorney and the Attorney General of any matters that may raise substantive legal issues at trial or appeal.
- Notifies the Regional Federal Crown Prosecutor for offences designated as contraventions under the Contraventions Act.
4. Conducts legal research to support prosecution/appeal activities and arguments.
5. Liaises with staff concerning disclosure requests, received and plea acceptance and motions.
6. Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned or required.
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate.
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
- Must maintain ability to travel in a timely manner to all court locations in the Niagara Region.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
« Other jobs