Job Posting #22516
Waste Management Engagement and Education Intern
Duration: July 2019 - March 2020
About Niagara Region
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada's most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada's most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario's most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Niagara Region has one temporary, full time Engagement and Education Intern position available for 2019 in our Waste Management Division.
This is an excellent opportunity for recent graduates of Environmental Science/Management, Geography, Education, Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Public Administration or a related program.
Please note this position is an 8 month contract, starting in July.Engagement and Education InternThe Waste Management division is part of the Public Works Division, and is responsible for providing cost-effective and environmentally-sound waste management programs/services to the residents and businesses of the twelve Niagara municipalities.
It is divided into three main sections Waste Disposal Operations and Engineering, Collection & Diversion Operations, Policy & Planning.
Each section is responsible for various services and programs, and the Engagement and Education Intern assists in supporting all groups for the duration of their 8 month contract.
This position will
- Assist in the development and coordination of communication activities for waste management services to satisfy internal and external needs-Assist in preparing and supporting presentations, events, and reports on outreach activities -Maintain divisional web presence by ensuring information is current, relevant and consistent-Assist in planning and coordinating campaigns-Assist in the coordination of newspaper ads, public service announcements, media releases, and social media -Assist in the maintenance of divisional intranet site-Any other duties as requiredLocation of work: This position is located at Niagara Region's headquarters (near Brock University).
The incumbents will be required to travel between this location and other facilities throughout the Region.
Typical hours of work: 8:30-4:30.
Monday-Friday (35 hours/week), some evening and weekend work is require
- Completion of an high school diploma, plus
- Must have successfully completed one of the related programs listed above within the last 12 months (or successfully complete prior to starting the position)
Experience with public relations, public consultation processes, community groups, or media
- Experience in waste management, or related environmental field
- Familiarity with current waste management-related environmental issues, and core services provided
- Experience developing communication plans is considered an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are require
A self-motivated individual with proven initiative
- Highly developed written and oral communications skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to effectively manage multiple deadlines
- Technical writing experience is an asset
- Must provide proof of meeting the educational requirements outlined above
- A valid, restriction free G class driver's license is required and access to a vehicle is strongly preferred, a Driver's Abstract will be required
- Must be available to start work in July 2019
- May be required to provide own CSA-approved safety footwear
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
« Other jobs