Job Posting #22501
Employee Services (Payroll) Representative
About Niagara Region
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada's most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada's most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario's most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Reporting to the Manager, Employee Services Operations, the Employee Services Representative is responsible for providing accurate and timely payroll and human resources support for Niagara Regional employees and shared service partners, in a fast-paced environment with non-negotiable deadlines.
- Post-secondary diploma in Human Resources/Accounting/Finance/ Business or equivalent of courses in accounting and/or business
- Post-secondary degree in Human Resources/Accounting/Finance or equivalent of courses in business and/or accounting preferred
- 2 years of experience working within a payroll department and human resources environment
- Experience working within a Municipal/Public Sector multi-union environment preferred
- Certified Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP)
- Working towards Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP)
- Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) preferred
- Knowledge of Employment Standards Act (ESA), Income Tax Act, CRA reporting requirements, pension and benefit administration
- Knowledge of Peoplesoft HRMS / Payroll and KRONOS Time Entry systems
- Knowledge of OMERS Pension and Benefits Act preferred
1. Provides payroll and human resource support services, ensuring bi-weekly pay activities are processed.
- Monitors and prioritize work requests in Incident Monitor system
- Prorates and processes HR/payroll related inputs (accrual banks, pay rates, dues, supplements etc.) by established payroll deadlines for all new hires, re-hires, transfers, bumps, layoffs, secondments, acting pay, contract extensions and labour pool assignments.
- Processes compensation, and benefit enrolment/setups/changes
- Performs pension administration such as enrolments/setup/changes.
- Guides customers on the interpretation and processing of documents/forms for life events, policies, collective agreements, recruitment, technical support, benefits and payroll.
- Calculates top-ups, wage increases, payouts, retroactive pay, terminations, benefits, recoveries, education advances, garnishments and insurable earnings.
- Ensures payroll information for various employee classes, (i.e., full-time, part-time, unionized, etc.) is processed in accordance with multiple collective agreements and relevant legislation.
- Compiles payroll inputs from multiple sources, performing key diagnostics to ensure a high level accuracy of payroll outputs.
- Processes records of employment (ROE), ensuring timely submission to Service Canada.
- Ensures compliance with various compensation and benefit rules outlined in contracts or collective agreements.
- Creates and updates and process case information within Incident Monitor software.
- Processes monies received through benefit billings and WSIB advances and leaves for benefit continuance and allocate to correct account numbers
- Prepares invoices for benefits for employees on leave in accordance with language in Collective agreements.
2. Ensures integrity of employee remuneration, employee information, leaves administration and benefit entitlements such as vacation, sick and lieu banks.
- Calculates and processes employee records, payroll and benefits, ensuring accuracy, legislative compliance and recoveries to avoid penalties.
- Audits payroll and human resources reports, identifying errors, and researching and investigating issues to correct course of action for pay accuracy.
- Maintains accurate records to ensure integrity of employee remuneration, history, benefits, pension, recruitment and leave administration.
- Develops standard operating procedures and other documentation/resource tools, to ensure consistency, and accuracy.
- Provides guidance and assistance to employees to independent use of myHR web tool.
- Responds to client requests, providing information on all inquiries on related policies, programs, procedures and collective agreements.
3. Provides support as a first point of contact for clients.
- Forges strong relationships across the organization, collaborating with other department members to maintain efficiency, accuracy and data integrity.
- Achieves first call resolution by delivering complete and accurate information at first point of contact.
- Represents Niagara Region's Human Resources department, ensuring all interactions are professional, information provided is accurate and the timely resolution of inquires in accordance with the prescribed service levels.
4. Identifies and communicates process improvement opportunities.
- Participates in ad hoc projects and initiatives as required.
- Supports policy and process change/enhancement, ensuring updates/communication documentation is executed.
- Participates and advises in the development of processes and negotiations in the organization.
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate.
- Regional staff strives to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carries out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
« Other jobs