Job Posting #21421
Program Financial Analyst
Approximate Duration: 16-20 months
About Niagara Region
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada's most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada's most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario's most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Reporting to the Manager, Program Financial Support, the Program Financial Analyst is responsible for providing program specific financial analysis and support to the Transportation / GO Project.
- Bachelor's degree from a recognized university in accounting or finance.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in accounting, financial reporting, budgeting, procurement and/or
- Experience with Public Sector Accounting (PSA) and not-for-profit accounting standards is an asset
- Professional accounting designation (CPA/CA, CGA, CMA).
- Knowledge of external regulations, such as the Municipal Act, the CICA/PSAB Handbook, and all other regulations impacting the accounting and reporting of municipalities.
- Completion of the municipal accounting and finance program would be an asset
1. Fulfills monthly, quarterly, annual and ad hoc requests for internal and external department reporting.
- Preparation of Ministry mandated reports for programs
- Liaise with Program Financial Specialists to review the financial performance of programs, including monthly variance analysis and interim financial reporting.
- Provide departmental specific support to complete internal reporting and forecasting.
- Perform financial analysis interpret and analyze information to identify issues, opportunities and provide recommendations to improve program outcomes.
- Provides support in the budget preparation and budget to actual analysis, as assigned.
- Ensure journal entries, account reconciliations, and analyses are completed in a timely fashion.
2. Reviews financial processes to identify and implement process improvements.
- Applies best practices and methodologies that will drive process to objectives with efficiency and quality.
- Maintain and update procedure documentation for reporting.
- Research issues and develop recommendations to be applied in both financial and business processes.
- On-going process improvements/enhancements to ensure data integrity and accuracy.
- Liase with Program Financial Specialist to assist department in receiving timely financial information to support decision making and explore funding opportunities
3. Completes Financial Statement and Annual Reconciliation Returns for programs.
- Provides supporting documents and working papers to support the financial statements, liaising with auditors as required.
- Prepares and maintains financial information.
- Creates and maintains account structures within programs.
4. Leads and/or participates in special projects as assigned.
- Provide support and data gathering and analysis for special projects and initiatives
- Assist with providing advice, training and/or guidance to department staff
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate.
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
« Other jobs