Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Niagara Region is committed to developing and executing on strategies to reduce environmental impact and ensure regulatory compliance. To help agencies better understand and manage their energy consumption, the Province of Ontario introduced Ontario Regulation 397/11 (under the Green Energy Act 2009).
The regulation requires public agencies to report on their energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions every year. Public agencies include:
- Municipalities and service boards
- School boards
- Universities and colleges
Public agencies must also develop Energy Conservation and Demand Management Plans. These plans are updated every five years.
The Green Energy Act was repealed as of Jan. 1, 2019, and the requirements moved to Ontario Regulation 507/18 (under the Electricity Act).
Historical Greenhouse Gas Reports
- 2020 Greenhouse Gas Emissions Report
- 2019 Greenhouse Gas Emissions Report
- 2018 Greenhouse Gas Emissions Report
- 2017 Greenhouse Gas Emissions Report
- 2016 Greenhouse Gas Emissions Report