Prevent blowing recyclables due to high winds
High winds can lead to litter and debris when recyclables are blown from curbside recycling boxes. In cases of extremely high winds, residents are encouraged to not place their recycling out for collection, and instead place it out the following week. There is no limit on the amount of recyclables that can be placed at the curb.
Follow these other tips to reduce litter and help keep your neighbourhood clean:
- Set your Blue Box at the curb by 7 a.m. the morning of your collection day, rather than the night before
- Flatten boxboard and stuff it altogether into one boxboard box
- Stack your heavier recyclable items such as phone books and magazines on top of lighter material
- Keep recyclables below the rim of your recycling box to prevent the wind from catching them. You can use multiple recycling boxes for extra materials or use other rigid re-usable containers for extra recycling (containers must not exceed 3ftX2ft).
- Stack your Blue and Grey Boxes on top of one another to prevent flying debris
- If possible, bring in your recycling containers from the curb soon after the material is collected
905-980-6000 ext. 3414
Share this article: Facebook | Twitter