Respite Companion Program
This service provides a quality in-home respite service to individuals with Alzheimer disease or progressive age-related dementia. Trained respite companions provide meaningful activities tailored the client's needs and interests, in the client's home.
The program aims to provide:
- Activities that bring enjoyment, purpose and meaning to the client's life
- Socialization and interaction to maintain function and reduce risk of depression and loneliness
- Companionship to increase client safety and provide reassurance
- Respite for caregivers
Respite Companions may provide the individual with:
- Help with meaningful activities such as walks, hobbies, socializing or other activities according to his/her ability, need and desire to participate
- Prompts for medication may be provided according to program policy
- Interaction that helps maintain functioning and enhances self-esteem which may decrease feelings of depression or loneliness
- Preparation and serving of snacks, beverages and light meals
Respite Companions will not:
- Provide personal care such as toileting, transferring, feeding or bathing
- Drive clients in their vehicle, perform banking or other financial transactions
- Clean the client's home, do laundry or shop unless it's a shared activity with the client
Hours of Service
You may choose the days and times preferred for respite to a maximum of 20 hours per week. The minimum length of any visit is three hours.
An hourly rate of $6.50 is applied to this service. Participants may be eligible for a reduced rate based on income. Ask for details when applying.
Apply for the Respite Companion Program
Call 905-984-2630 or 1-877-212-3922, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.