If you are pregnant, or are planning to become pregnant, this is an ideal time to start thinking through the idea of parenting, and begin preparing for your journey into parenthood. The transition from partners to parents can bring many challenges and stressors to your relationship. Good communication and support for one another will be the key to positive parenting.
Here are some quick tips to start you on your journey to being a great parent.
- Communicate with your partner. Make time each week to discuss your feelings and concerns. Are you and your partner both ready to start a family? What concerns do you and your partner have about becoming a mom/dad?
- Be open with your partner, even though it may be difficult at times.
- Take some time to talk with your family and friends.
- Learn what you can in order to have the healthiest pregnancy possible. If you are planning a pregnancy, order a free Planning Ahead for a Healthy Pregnancy Kit. If you are already pregnant, register as soon as possible for Prenatal Classes.
- Planning a pregnancy and being pregnant can be exciting, but overwhelming times. Everyone has some kind of advice to give you. Make sure you are receiving reliable information to help you make informed choices
- Nurture your relationship. Show love and support for one another. As parents, you are your child's first experience with relationships.
- Schedule regular couple "checkups". Encourage asking questions. How does each person feel about the relationship right now?
- The transition from partners to parents brings common stresses. Work with your partner and list your individual transition issues.
Parenting is a learned skill.
It is important to believe you can be a great parent!
Download this information as a PDF