Job Posting #19036
Our careers site will be temporarily unavailable on Sept. 21 from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. due to system maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Senior Budget Analyst
About Niagara Region
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada's most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada's most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario's most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Budget, Planning & Strategy, the Senior Budget Analyst is responsible for leading the compilation of the annual budget in accordance with corporate target dates and guidelines (operating and/or capital), ensuring corporate deadlines are met and information being reporting is in alignment with Council and management’s objectives and best practices
- Post-secondary degree in a finance or business related field of study.
- 5 years progressive experience, preferable with familiarity in the Ontario Municipal financial context, with emphasis in reporting and analysis of budgets and related financing.
- 5 years progressive experience preferably within the Ontario Municipal financial context with emphasis in reporting and analysis of budgets and related financial analyst experience, responsible for complex accounting, budgeting and reporting preferred.
- Experience with Public Sector Accounting (PSA) and not-for-profit accounting standards preferred.
- Professional Accounting Designation, CA, CGA or CMA.
- Knowledge and practical experience with accounting systems.
- Knowledge of external regulations, such as the Municipal Act, the Development Charges Act, the CICA/PSAB Handbook, and all other regulations impacting the accounting and reporting of municipalities.
- Completion of the municipal accounting and finance program preferred.
Leads the compilation of the annual budget in accordance with corporate target dates and guidelines.
- Sets internal controls and procedures to ensure budget transactions are recorded accurately in both the budget and general ledger.
- Researches and formulates budget guidelines.
- Ensures the accurate and timely recording and reporting of the outputs of the budget unit through the coordination of the administration of the budget modules (capital/operating) (manage, improve, train front line technical support).
- Leads the communication of informational requirements/corporate budget guidelines to departmental, agency and board staff, ensuring complete and accurate information in all corporate communications related to the budget.
- Assesses the accuracy and completeness of budget submissions, reviewing and analyzing for compliance with budget guidelines and corporate policies, communicating issues and recommended solutions and next steps to management and making recommendations to improve future years budget process.
- Oversees the reconciliation of budget adjustments.
- Coordinates external information requests relating to the budget, including external auditor requirements.
- Leads the education and training of departmental, agency and board staff in support of corporate compliance.
- Represents Corporate Service requirements when reviewing external system initiatives requiring integration and/or interfacing with budget modules.
- Participates as a member of budget review committee of the whole (BRCOTW) and Corporate Management Team (CMT) budget team.
- Makes recommendations that maximize funding sources available, such as tax revenues, subsidies and reserves.
- Leads new system implementation testing and design as necessary as it relates to various budgeting processes (operating and/or capital).
Monitors and updates budget management policies and procedures, ensuring effective and efficient processes are in place for budget related transactions.
- Monitors the corporations compliance with approved policies, following up with departmental staff, agencies and boards, making recommendations for change and facilitating implementation within their respective budget areas.
- Ensures activities in the budget programs are in compliance with external regulations such as the CICA Handbook, Municipal Act etc.
- Reviews Council reports, by-laws, memorandums, and all other documents to ensure compliance with best practices and approved policies, and resolve gaps within the process.
- Promotes and maintains cross municipal collaboration and involvement with outside groups/regulatory bodies regarding information sharing relating to budget processes, reporting and best practices.
- Develops and implements internal audit procedures as necessary.
- Leads technical support/resources for departmental, agency and board staff in relation to the implementation of policies and related procedures.
- Addresses information requests from Responsive Region Improvement Team and implements associated recommendations.
Prepares and presents complex financial analysis to support communication of financial strategies to Council.
- Leads and/or participates in financial analysis, such as lease vs. purchase, reviews of major contracts, commitment analyses, compensation planning etc.
- Communicates the results of complex financial analysis to management, identifying possible impacts and recommending solutions.
- Prepares and communicates “what if” scenarios in support of complex business decision options.
- Prepares timely and accurate responses to Council information requests, researching and reviewing data.
- Coordinates ad hoc analysis requests relating to the corporate budgets.
Supports the financial reporting analyst with the preparation of the financial information return and quarterly reports.
- Prepares communications and reports to CMT and Council as required.
- Responsible for reports to Council related to budget program policies and procedures
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate.
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Email to Friend
« Other jobs