Job Posting #18491
About Niagara Region
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada's most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada's most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario's most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Reporting to the Community and Long Range Planning Management Team, the Planner role is responsible for all aspects of research/analysis, field investigations, formulation of policy recommendations and report preparation on a variety of community and long range planning policy issues affecting the Region.
Provides research and analytical support on community and long range planning policy issues.
- Researches and analyzes Regional policies and related issues, documenting findings.
- Develops and presents recommendations on new or revised, and implementation programs.
- Analyzes, evaluates and coordinates regional comments on local comprehensive Official Plans and Zoning By-laws to ensure conformity with the Regional Policy Plan and Provincial legislation and policy.
Evaluates emerging planning issues.
- Provides written comments, reports and advice.
- Presents Regional Planning policies and related information in a public forum to inform the public of existing, new or changes to existing policies and/or proposed policies.
Evaluates and interprets technical, legislative and policy information identifying implications and potential impacts of new Provincial legislation and policy directions proposed by such bodies as the Niagara Escarpment Commission and the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority, on the Region’s plan policy and management processes.
Consults with and advises the local municipalities with respect to practice requirements and key issues to be addressed in their policy development exercises.
- Recommends measures to be taken to address Regional and Provincial interests and requirements.
- Undertakes a customer focused liaison role throughout the local exercise.
Implements new/modified programs established by Council, ensuring adherence with the Regional Policy Plan.
- 3 years of related planning experience.
- Membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners and the Ontario Professional Planners Institute and Registered Professional Planner accreditation preferred.
- Post-secondary degree in Planning or a planning-related subject.
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
« Other jobs