Job Posting #18472
Senior Corporate Financial Reporting Analyst
Reporting to the Associate Director, Reporting and Analysis, Corporate Reporting Supervisor is responsible for leading the compilation of and coordinates activities and resources related to corporate financial reporting, ensuring the completeness, accuracy and analysis of all financial reports, including monthly, quarterly and annual reports for operating and capital activities of departments and boards in adherence with Public
Sector Accounting Standards.
1. Leads the compilation of and coordinates corporate reporting activities, ensuring accurate, timely and relevant internal and external reporting.
- Ensures cyclical and on demand reporting requirements for internal business partners, Council and other levels of government are fulfilled.
- Ensures the timely preparation and submission of monthly, quarterly and annual reports as well as FIR, Government Claims and all other required reports.
- Leads the communication of informational requirements/corporate financial reporting guidelines to departmental, agency and board staff, ensuring complete and accurate information in all corporate communications related to corporate financial reporting.
- Assesses the accuracy and completeness of corporate financial reports, reviewing and analyzing for compliance with reporting guidelines and corporate policies, communicating issues and recommended solutions and next steps to management and making recommendations to improve future years reporting processes.
- Coordinates external information requests relating to the corporate financial reporting,
- Ensures compliance with processes, policies and practices, along with legislative, public sector accounting standards, regulatory standards and requirements.
2. Prepares and presents financial information and/or reporting to support communication of corporate financial results.
- Leads and/or participates in the presentation of quarterly and year-end financial information and variance analysis to department senior leadership teams
- Communicates the results of complex financial information to management, identifying possible impacts and recommending solutions.
- Prepares timely and accurate responses to information requests, researching and reviewing data.
- Participates in new system implementation testing and design as necessary as it relates to various reporting processes (operating and/or capital).
- Researches issues and develops recommendations to be applied in both financial reporting and business processes.
3. Acts as primary liaison with external auditors for preparation of annual financial statements and ensures compliance with new public sector accounting standards.
- Coordinates auditor requirements, deliverables and scheduling.
- Leads the implementation of new accounting standards and the necessary inputs and compliance from impacted staff.
- Coordinates and prepares additional information for inclusion in the Annual Report.
- Works closely with the communications team to finalize the Annual Report.
4. Supervises staff, coordinating and planning work, providing work direction, assigning tasks and projects, determining methods and procedures to be used, monitoring quality of work, resolving problems and ensuring assigned results are achieved.
- Enables results with the organization’s human capital strategy to foster employee engagement.
- In conjunction with the Manager provides training and development, coaching and discipline when necessary, and manages staff recruitment.
- Ensures focus is service excellence, communication/transparency, innovation, and data integrity and work flow integration.
- Ensures staff has the information and resources to make successful plans and decisions.
- Ensures all people related issues, including recruitment, grievances and labour relations issues, are aligned to HR and Corporate standards and practices.
- Helps to break down barriers to employee success, ensuring collaboration and cooperation with other teams within their division and department
- Ensures Occupational Health & Safety policies, programs and practices are implemented, and maintained. This includes workplace inspections, monitoring, accident reporting and investigations, and ensuring any observed hazards or lapses in the functioning of OH&S processes, and other OH&S concerns are responded to promptly.
- Ensures all individuals under supervision have been informed of hazards and instructed on the necessary risk control and emergency response measures
5. Identifies opportunities for improving corporate financial reporting, ensuring consistency in methodologies and approaches, alignment with corporate strategies and priorities, developing and presenting recommendations, and coaching staff to ensure initiatives are incorporated into day-to-day activities.
- Leads and/or participates in special projects (i.e. HST implementation, etc.)
- 5-7 years of experience in accounting, financial reporting, budget and analysis within the Ontario Municipal Financial context.
- 1+ years of progressive leadership experience.
- Experience with Public Sector Accounting (PSA) and not-for-profit accounting standards is preferred.
- Professional Accounting Designation (CPA/CA, CGA, CMA).
- Knowledge of external regulations, such as the Municipal Act, the CICA/PSAB Handbook, and all other regulations impacting the accounting and reporting of municipalities.
- Completion of the Municipal Accounting and Finance Program is preferred.
- Post-secondary degree in accounting or finance
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate.
- May be required to support emergency operations under the incident management structure, at the direction of the Emergency Operations Centre Director
- Regional staff strives to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
« Other jobs